Rate This Article With 5 Stars.
Last updated on September 30th, 2019 at 03:25 pm
Chemical energy of a substance is that part of the potential energy that is stored within that substance to undergo a chemical transformation. As mentioned, chemical energy is a type of potential energy and remains stored within the body. Energy is released when we transform or break these compounds. Therefore chemical energy can be measured as the difference between the energy of the products and the reactants when the temperature remains fixed. Usually, potential energy is associated with the position of a body. Here the position refers to the structural arrangement of atoms and molecules.
Chemical energy can be converted into other forms of energy, like heat energy, electrical energy, sound energy by a chemical reaction. One such example is a Battery. In a battery, we convert chemical energy into electrical energy to drive our electrical appliances. The process is known as discharging. In the reverse process of recharging, we again convert the electrical energy into chemical energy.
Below we mention a few Examples of Chemical Energy to help you understand the subject better. If you find the article helpful, please rate it with 5 Stars.
Examples of Chemical Energy
- Battery stores energy as chemical energy. In a battery, there are two terminals, an anode and a cathode. A chemical called electrolyte separates these two terminals. This electrolyte is responsible for transferring charges between a cathode and an anode inside the battery. When you connect an electrical device to a battery, current flows from the anode to the cathode in an external circuit. This is an example of the conversion of chemical energy to electrical energy. During charging, we again transform electrical energy into chemical energy. Read More: Examples of Electrical Energy.
- In a photosynthesis reaction, plants convert carbon dioxide and water into carbohydrates in the presence of sunlight. Corresponding reaction is . This way, energy from sunlight is converted into useful chemical energy and gets stored in foods. Similar Article: 10 Examples of Kinetic Energy.
- Combustion is a reaction where a fuel undergoes reduction when exposed to an oxidizing agent under certain circumstances. Energy stored as chemical energy gets released during such reaction. An important example of the combustion reaction is the burning of glucose inside our body . The energy released during this reaction is driving us. This is an example of the conversion of chemical energy into kinetic energy. Related Post: 10 Examples of Exothermic Reactions.
- Explosive like TNT stores an enormous amount of energy in the form of chemical energy. When detonated, TNT releases this energy as heat energy, sound energy, and kinetic energy. Upon detonation, TNT decomposes as + Energy. Useful Article: 10 Examples of Potential Energy.
- Fuel like petroleum oil, coal and wood stores energy as chemical energy. Burning of fuels releases the stored energy mostly in the form of thermal energy.